Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Signing Off

I thought having movers move us this time around would simplify the whole process. But alas, complications have arisen. We are only moving effectively one room's worth of furniture, plus probably 15 boxes (half of which are my kitchen stuff), so we went with movers that do small moves. Small moves = small company. They only do one run a month up the coast, and this month's run leaves today. And since the soonest we would be ready to have our stuff picked up would be tomorrow, it's all going on next month's run. We will be without our stuff for about a month. This means shipping clothes and other essentials (which is actually cheaper per pound than sending it with the movers, but also means schlepping it to the post office). It will all work out, it's just frustrating that we missed the move date by 24 hours!

In other annoying moving news, the internet company decided that when we said we wanted our service cancelled on 6/15, we really meant 6/8, so they turned off our internet yesterday afternoon. Despite sitting on hold and dealing with (surprisingly very helpful) technical support only 4 hours after our service had been turned off, we still have to wait until tomorrow morning for them to come turn it back on. So, you may ask, how are you posting to your blog without internet (and it's not via one of our neighbors' connections, they all secure their internet, the bastards)? Apparently the blackberry can function as a modem. I love technology. Sure, it costs $30 per month, but I can get the first month free and it will probably come in handy on our trip. As long as I have a network signal, we will have internet.

Of course, you may have heard about my frustrations with my blackberry. How I would get stuck with the hourglass spinning and spinning. How it would freeze at the most inopertune moments. How I couldn't answer the phone because despite pushing the send key over and over, the phone didn't seem to care. How I would have to remove the battery at least 3 times daily, sometimes hourly, in order to get it to function. I finally had enough of all that, and after uninstalling unnecessary software without improvement, I reinstalled the entire operating system. It took about an hour, and some minor frustrations with trying to figure how to make the email work again, but now it works beautifully. Just in time for its debut as a modem.

And I have my beloved google maps back. This is the best application ever created. Those google people are geniuses.

I finished my last internal medicine clinic yesterday. I'm not working at all this week. I am essentially done with residency. We have our road trip through Utah coming up, and I'll have a week in Seattle before starting fellowship. At this point, I think I'm ready to be done with this blog. It seems a good time to end. Done with residency, done with San Diego, moving back home. We'll still have our other blog, to share our adventures. And pictures of Wylie. And knitting. So you can still check up on us.

Change your bookmarks to: tracyandadam.wordpress.com and stay tuned for our Utah adventure!

1 comment:

Emily said...

I will miss this blog, but if it means I get to see you in person, that's a great deal!