Friday, April 27, 2007

Adventures in Felting

I know I haven't had much to say about work lately. That's because I've pretty much had it with being an intern. I just finished a couple of blocks (month-long rotations) of in-patient, which entails admitting patients to the hospital every other day, figuring out what is (or more often is not) wrong with them and sending them home (unless it is the VA Hospital in which case we send them to a nursing home or to a homeless shelter because anyone who has a home usually has health insurance and does not come to the VA hospital for healthcare). Next month I'm on ICU, which is basically the same except the patients are sicker and we never send them home. We just send them out of the ICU and the the in-patient teams send them to their home/nursing home/shelter. And as of June 22nd, I will be done with this year, and I will get to be a resident and (hopefully) life will be good.

Meanwhile, I knit. My latest adventure: felting. You take a nice non-washable wool. Make something about three times larger than you want it to be, then throw it in the wash and wash it in hot water until it shrinks. I recently made a felted hand-bag:

All it needs is the handles and voila! So much more fun than being a doctor.

No comments: