Thursday, April 17, 2008

Lack of Secrecy

Today it was brought to my attention, that if you google me, you can find your way to my blog. I thought I had investigated this, googling my self on occasion. My old blog shows up, which I thought kept me safe from being inadvertently discovered, but little did I know that by clicking on my profile, you get the link to my current blog. Not that I have any opposition to other people reading my blog--if I really cared, I would password protect it. I just figured no one would care enough to seek it out. My family and friends know about it, and random people will occasionally stumble upon it. I am a quiet person, but not a private person. I don't volunteer much in conversation, but if you ask, I'm happy to tell you about just about any aspect of my life. You want the details of my drunken 20's? How Adam and I met? Why I went to Dartmouth? My thoughts on universal health care? I'm happy to share. And that's why I don't care if other people read my blog. I don't write about anything here that I wouldn't tell people over a margarita (but those of you who know me well know that I will share just about ANYTHING over a margarita). It's when someone who wouldn't know these things about me otherwise, people I don't normally socialized with, find out these details of my life, it's a little uncomfortable. But just a little. It makes me blush. I'm a bit embarassed. But in reality, it's just me. You get a little insight into what I am like. And I'm kind of boring. Seriously. I'm a 32 year old medical resident who knits and cooks. I travel when I can, and I'm planning a wedding in Seattle and honeymoon in Peru. I don't have anything to hide.

And you should all know, I've just spent an amazing two weeks on in-patient infectious disease consults with a brilliant attending and a wonderful fellow. And I'm not just saying this because they are probably reading this. I've really had a great time these last two weeks. But no, they did not convince me to give up my plans for endocrine and pursue a career in ID. I would however be willing to give up my month on VA wards for an additional month of ID consults... and I will be avoiding unpasturized goat cheese while in Peru!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean. I've always been careful but still "got caught". Like you, not that I have anything to hide but there are some things I'd like to keep private. And there are some things if left unexplained could lead into misunderstandings or people having misconceptions against you because they have half of the stories.

Lou said...

You had 'drunken 20's' - I'm shocked!! Was it at least good beer?

Dad ...

devin said...

I'd really like to know about these drunken 20s of yours...

Christine said...

Hah! I found you! :) Well, I won't be blogging myself because Alex has forbid me from saying anything about him in a blog (and without writing about Alex or my students, it would just be a boring blog about my dog, and the world has enough of those...). So I'll just read yours for entertainment. :)

Unknown said...

So now I will have some fun reading in between setting up assays on the HPLC. And your world is much more interesting than you give yourself credit for! What a fun weekend this was, but it left me spending the rest of Sunday afternoon uselessly lounging on the futon.