Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Frustrations

I had a suspicion that trying to schedule fellowship interviews, without actually having any time off in order to participate in said fellowship interviews, would be a frustrating experience. But I had no idea. I ended up applying to 10 programs, mainly because it cost the same amount to apply to one program as it did to apply to 10. So far I've gotten 7 interview offers, but due to many scheduling constraints, I've only managed to schedule two.

I think it would be easiest if they contacted me and said "hey, dr. tylee. we like you. here's the date we want to interview you." but they don't. They all ask me to send them a selection of dates that I'm free to interview. Maybe that works for programs where they actually give their residents time off for interviews, but not here at UCSD. I'm not available any days. I have to rearrange my schedule, get coverage, and get approval to take the day off for whichever day I plan to interview. So scheduling each interview involves sending emails to at least 2 different people, usually 3, waiting to hear back from everyone, and then finding a plane ticket that doesn't cost a fortune. Thus I have only managed to schedule my interview at OHSU and UCSD. The rest of them will happen, I'm just very frustrated with this whole process. I wish our program were more accommodating.

Anyway, tomorrow I'm off to Portland. It's nice that I was able schedule it on the weekend, so Adam and I will have time to do a bit of exploring. My top choices right now (having not actually interviewed anywhere) are Seattle, Portland and Denver. I'm hoping to schedule my Denver interview on a weekend too, so Adam can come (and we can go skiing!). I suspect these interviews will be a bit more stressful than residency. Friday I have to interview with 5 different people. At least they feed me. I do like to eat.

2 comments:

Noel Hastings said...

Sounds like a real drag and JUST LIKE medicine! I just got your card today! I really liked it... nice design. Let me know what you think of Portland. I am adding their EM program back to my list of possible residencies due to partner's desire to be in Portland. (She owns a house there, has friends, etc...) Ciao. -Noel

Anonymous said...

That's why emergency medicine is so great. The schedule is so crazy that as long as all the shifts are covered, the department doesn't worry about where people are. And there's the 65 hour work week. Did I mention my last call night of my life was back in November? Truely something to celebrate. - Jeni