Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Countdown Begins...

The next 6 weeks are going to be rough. Intern year was month after month of this schedule, and I survived but this year I've only had 3 1/2 months of in-patient so far and I had gotten very used to the fairly normal schedule of consult months. The in-patient schedule is hard, because as a resident you only get one day off a week, it is never a weekend, and you rarely get to come home early. But tomorrow is my day off, and I have grand plans for getting up early, going running, completing all 15 things on my to do list and still making dinner. But enough of my whining...

This weekend was hot. I did manage to get home early on Sunday, which allowed Adam and me to walk over to the farmers market near our house. Now, I don't bring this up to make those of you who live in the midwest where produce is not so plentiful feel bad about your fate in life, but dear lord are the strawberries beautiful this time of year! And we got some delicious asparagus. I seriously love the fact that you can get produce year round here. I will miss that if we move back to Seattle.

Which brings me to the countdown portion of this post. It is 30 days until Match Day. For those of you who missed out on the first Match Day, let me tell you how it goes.
- I applied for fellowships: UW, UCSD, Stanford, UCSF, OHSU, Colorado, Beth Israel, Mass General and the NIH
- I interviewed at all the west coast institutions (except Stanford), but turned down Beth Israel, Mass General and the NIH because I realized I didn't really want to live in Boston or DC. I'm very much a west coast kind of girl
- I liked all of the places I interviewed, Seattle and Denver most of all
- Now I have to rank them. I haven't figured out the final list yet.
- June 5th I have to submit my rank list
- The programs submit similar rank lists of the applicants that they liked, in their order of preference
- A giant computer (I imagine it to be a giant computer) matches me up with my highest ranked program that also put me on their list
- On June 15th, I find out where I'm going for fellowship starting July 2009

I have a pretty good idea where I will end up, but for fear of jinxing it, I'm not saying anything until I have the letter in my hand. So the countdown begins... 30 days until I know where I'll be going next. And hopefully I'll have something more interesting to write about in the upcoming days. Tomorrow for instance, Adam and I are going dog shopping. Much more interesting than my whining about how tired I am, don't you agree?

No comments: