Sunday, December 7, 2008

Making the Most of the Weekend

When you only get one full day off a week, you have to find ways to make the most of all the other time you get off. Like weekends. On weekends when we aren't on-call, the interns get the day off. So I go in in the morning, see all the patients, write all the daily notes, and then sign out to the overnight intern and head home. For most of this month, I haven't been getting out until 2 or 3 pm because we have had a ridiculous number of patients on our service. We still have quite a few, but they have all been here so long that nothing is going on with any of them. Thus today I was out of there by 11:30 am. Which left me the rest of the day to try to make a dent in my never-ending "to do" list.


I wrapped presents. Yes, we are already done with our Christmas shopping. It always an amazon.com Christmas here in the Tylee-Silberfein household. I hate malls. So now we (and by we, I mean me since I love wrapping gifts and Adam doesn't) are wrapping everything in preparation in shipping all the gifts off to their various locations.



Knitting! I had this brilliant idea to make socks for one of my gift recipients. However, I made this decision last week, I have never made socks before, and I chose some impossibly difficult Austrian cable-knit pattern. Needless to say, this gift recipient will be getting an "IOU" for the socks. Because that inch pictured there? Took me the majority of the Dallas-Pittsburgh football game to finish.


The other thing I did today is a secret if you are Kat, Tom or Bear (in the off chance that he has learned to use the internet before 6 months of age). If you are not one of those people, you can click here. If you are one of those people, you can click there too, but you'll ruin the surprise.


And I made dinner. Yes Mom, those are brussel sprouts. They actually taste kind of ok. The whole dinner was something of a disappointment (goat cheese and sun-dried tomato quiche, which just ended up kind of mushy and not terribly satisfying). The brussel sprouts were ok though. I'm willing to add them to my vegetable rotation.


Tomorrow it's back to work. Only 3 days left of this rotation. Next month won't be any better, but it's my last in-patient ward month (I have one ICU month left, but I actually enjoy the ICU) which is a glorious thought that will carry me through the next 4 weeks. I'm trying to convince Adam to go get our Christmas tree this Wednesday, but I'm not sure I've convinced him yet. I love Christmas.

4 comments:

MomMech said...

Tom and I found at least one really good brussel sprout recipe this last week and have another to try. Remind me to pass them on...

Ginna said...

I have a good brussel sprout recipe, too (don't faint, anyone). Tracy, you should share the BS story with your readers.

Lou said...

Just steam 'em in the microwave ... they're quite tasty!

Anonymous said...

We get them fresh here. Much better than frozen. You just snap them off the stalks and steam them. Shawn and the boys don't care for them, so I always cook them when they're not at home since the smell tends to linger.

Terri