Friday, February 8, 2008

I Voted

Sometime a few weeks ago. Even though the California primaries were on Super Tuesday. I love permanent absentee ballot status. I voted for Obama. Quite honestly, I don't really know the difference between Hillary and Obama (why is it that I feel the need to refer to Clinton by her first name and Barak by his last?). Hillary annoys me. Is that a valid reason for not voting for someone? I fear if she wins the democratic nomination, the fact that she annoys people will be enough to keep her from winning. I'm pretty strongly in the democratic camp though, so no matter who wins the nomination, I will be voting for them. I actually attempted to learn a bit about the issues this year, I was curious if I really was a democrat, or if I just voted that way because I grew up believing that the democrats were good and the republicans were evil. And I did agree with the democratic candidates on most issues, but not social security. I'm all for privatization of social security. I do not trust our government to invest my money in such a way that there will be anything left in 40 years. I want the option to take my retirement money and invest it as I see fit. I want to be in control of my future. Currently, I don't contribute anything to social security. I don't fully understand the details of my benefits, all I know is that the University of Califonia takes a certain portion of my paycheck each month and puts it in a 403(b) and gives nothing to social security. I like it. I get to pick which funds it goes into. I can have it if I want, at anytime (with certain penelties). And best of all, I know it will still be there for me when I retire (hopefully, I suppose there are always risks with investments).

I'm sure this is all much more complicated than I understand it to be. And if Hillary/Obama wins, it will probably never happen. But I'm still a democrat. I disagree with the republicans on A LOT of other issues.

1 comment:

adam said...

You said: "I want to be in control of my future", which sounds mighty Republican of you. Keep up the good work! Freedom doesn't begin and end with investing money for your retirement -- there's also health care, education, child rearing, and many more things. It's slippery slope, so enjoy the ride!