Friday, February 15, 2008

Interview #3

Today was my interview at UCSD. It was a bit odd being at the hospital wearing a suit, but a good interview. I didn't expect much from the program, but it was actually went better than I expected. It's definitely not as academically oriented at UCSF--over 90% of fellows go into private practice/HMO. The clinical load is not as heavy, with only 4-5 months of inpatient consults (versus a full year at UCSF and 6 months at OHSU), plus your clinical duties can extend into 2nd year. We met with one of the fellows, and she kept commenting on how hard they work at other programs. I think I want to work hard... it's the best way to learn. How hard can endocrinologists work anyway? Almost no one does a 3rd year and it's not clear that many fellows get additional funding. Plus, the lab I'm most interested in working in doesn't generally take MD fellows (but would probably be able to set me up with someone who does). There's been some drama with a fellow recently leaving the program, and all of the clinical trials at the VA are on hold for protocol review (one of the PI's does a lot of drug studies), but overall you get a good education. And San Diego isn't a bad place. The best part was meeting with one of my interviewers (who did her fellowship at UW) who spent our entire 40 minute interview telling me what I needed to do in order to get accepted to the fellowship program... at University of Washington. :)

The current standings:
1. UCSF
2. UCSD for their program, OHSU for the city and faculty
3. OHSU for their program, UCSD for the city and faculty

I could go either way with UCSD and OHSU. Next up... UW on 2/26. I fly in at 10 pm Monday night, and fly out 10 pm Tuesday night. Quick trip but it's hard to get time off these days.

No comments: