Sunday, February 24, 2008

Odds and Ends

I've been working all weekend, which hasn't been too difficult, it's just a bit annoying to work an entire week, then all weekend, and then another entire week all without a day off. I miss having normal days off. Adam will be quick to point out that I often only work half the day. Which is true (although I would say "often" is a bit of an exaggeration) but even on those days that I come home at 3pm, keep in mind I am often at work between 7 amd 8 am so that is still a full 8 hour day. I think I am justified in feeling tired.
But I have found time to cook dinner every day this week, which always makes me happy. I love cooking. I made fish stew one night, Greek marinated kebabs with salad and asaparagus another night. We had chicken piccata. Then a left-over night to catch up on everything. Tonight I made chicken soup. I've taken to buying whole chickens and cutting them up for parts whenever I make anything chicken. Then I use the leftover parts to make chicken stock. It's very easy, although takes about 8 hours. But it's nice to have chicken stock on hand. It makes me feel so domestic.
I also finished two knitting projects. The baby blanket for my friend's new little girl:
It is nice and soft and machine washable, but I chose a flannel backing that completely clashes with the knitted part. The colors are way off. But It took so long to sew that damn backing on (I haven't yet learned to operate the sewing machine I got for Christmas... I will get around to the one of these days!) so I just left it. Baby won't be able to tell the difference anyway, right?
I also made a shopping tote from Michelle's recycled sweater:
That sweater has plenty of yarn left to give, so perhaps I'll make more of these. It's pretty brainless work, and probably the most practical thing I've ever made.
Tomorrow I'm off to Seattle for my UW interview. I'm very nervous about this one, because it is where I want to go, and I'm interviewing with some of the top experts in my research areas of interest. Which is actually a very good thing--this program is a perfect fit for my interests in obesity and body weight regulation. Hopefully they will think the same. I hope it isn't raining in Seattle. It's been raining here for days it seems, and I could use a bit of sun. :)

1 comment:

Shell said...

I've been meaning to say... great bag! I'm glad you put my sweater out of its misery.