Monday, February 11, 2008

Randomness

I missed knitting group again tonight. I'm on call for renal, which is home-call, so I don't actually need to be in the hospital, but I'm terribly nervous about actually getting paged since I know, oh about NOTHING when it comes to nephrology. I find the kidneys fascinating, but I'm not smart enough to know what to do with them in an emergent situation. Basically my role is to screen calls, and if anything actually seems important (a donor kidney becomes available for a transplant patient, someone needs to be started on dialysis emergently) I call in the boss to deal with it. So with all that, and starting to stress a bit more about this whole lack of a wedding venue thing, I stayed home a cooked. Cooking is my therapy. Tonight I made tostadas, with homemade refried beans. So easy! And delicious! And therapeutic! I learned a nifty onion chopping techinque from Martha Stewart on the Today show last week. It was beautiful.

I have no interesting knitting projects going on anyway. I have one in the boring almost finished stage, and several in the not quite started phase. But nothing in the fun, I can't wait to get back to my knitting phase.

As for the wedding drama (for those keeping track) over the weekend I emailed about 20 different venues. As expected, 15 got back to me with "so sorry but every weekend in August is booked. I have a Wednesday in April available if you are interested!" Still waiting to hear back from a few, but we did get one positive response--the Wallace Falls Lodge. It's in Goldbar, WA, which is about an hour north of Seattle on the way to Stevens Pass. I have my agents headed up there sometime this week to check it out. I've gotten some feedback from others who have had/been to weddings there, and it sounds nice but it's going to be a bit more work to get set up than Fox Farm. More decorating will be needed and I'm going to have to find someone with a creative mind who can make it look pretty, since I'm going to be stuck in San Diego and unable to do any of that. But hopefully it will be nice enough that we'll want to put down a deposit, guaranteeing us at least one, if not two venues come August 9th! Adam's trying to work out a deal with the original venue to give us a discount so if we do end up going with them, we don't completely lose the $800 we're going to have to put down as a non-refundable deposit on the new place. Who knew it would be so hard to find a nice little farm/garden to hold a party?

No comments: