Saturday, October 18, 2008

Catching Up

Adam is out of town. Again. But this has given me some much needed time to catch up on things. Mainly sleep. Without wedding planning, and now that thank you letters are done and in the mail, there's actually not much on my to-do list. So how have I spent my Adam-free time?

I worked Thursday night, and then had to start my new rotation Friday morning. Luckily they didn't make me work past 12 noon, because if I had had to work any longer, I would have fallen asleep on the drive home. I got home at 1 pm and slept until 5 pm. And then went back to bed at 8 pm and slept until 9 am today. Quite the party animal I am!

I like to try out new cooking experiments on weekends. Today I embarked on a vegetable soup. Rummaging through my food blogs, I came upon a "zero points Asian inspired soup." Zero points referring to Weight Watchers point plan, which basically means it has less than 50 calories per serving. I have several elaborate, rich, calorie-laden meals planned for later this week, so calorie-free soup sounded good. Except it wasn't. First, I decided to make the vegetable broth from scratch. Such a waste of time. In fact, vegetable broth in general is a waste of time, unless you are a vegetarian I suppose. It tastes so horrid--sweet and bland. Blech. $20 worth of vegetables for a pot of foul tasting water. I think I'll stick with my chicken stock--easy to make and quite tasty. I proceeded to throw a whole bunch of other veggies in the broth, and those actually didn't taste half bad, but the broth kind of ruined it for me. And really, when I eat a meal, I want calories. That's why I just had two delicious chocolate chocolate chip cookies with my coffee. Yum. Luckily the other meals I have planned for this week are full of meat and calories and fat, and so should be much tastier. I've found it is very hard to screw up non-low-fat meals.

I finished the pumpkin hats. I made an entire patch of pumpkins, even a little preemie one for our friends' baby who showed up 3 months early. Aren't they cute?

And now I'm indulging in one of my favorite Adam-free activities--watching Hugh Grant movies. I miss Adam, but hey, if I can spend the evening with Hugh Grant, I'll get over it.

4 comments:

Shell said...

Even fancy organic/whatever veggie broth tastes like bitter carrot/celery broth. Yuk.

Oh, and cutest pumpkin patch of hats, ever.

kateyritro said...

Did I know that we share a love for Hugh Grant movies??? How could I have not known this?

Can't wait to see you this weekend!!

Noel Hastings said...

The pumpkin hats are quite cool... Thanks for the nice thank you card and the great photo of you two!

Anonymous said...

we love the pumpkin hat and the wedding photo album. We've shared it with many friends and family. We made vege soup too, for Gavin. It tastes really gross to me, but he gobbles it up.
Cari