Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Altering Dresses and Other Uses of the Internet

I have learned to shop around. It is essential when it comes to wedding planning. My dress is too big and I need to get it altered. I had no idea where to start, since I didn't really like the people at the shop where I bought it. Enter the internet. The Knot has message boards where people getting married post messages, ask questions, get answers, and sometimes are a little rude. I'm generally a lurker, because these people are far more into the whole process of wedding planning than I am, but occasionally it comes in useful. I got several recommendations for dress makers, and have met with a few.

The estimates for taking in the top 4 inches, adding a little padding in those places where I'm lacking, and a bustle?

Anywhere from $90 to $900. Seriously? I'm going to wear the dress once. People really spend $900 on the alterations??? Needless to say, I'm going the $90 route. Although I didn't like her bustle. We may have to negotiate on that one.

And Emily introduced me to the craigslist wedding florist. I love the way we are putting this wedding together. It's definitely going to be our own unique party.

1 comment:

kateyritro said...

Totally agree on the lurking of the The Knot, as those people generally scare me, but I used a lot of their recommendations on our wedding in Sedona and it came in very, very handy!