Monday, March 10, 2008

I'm Not Quitting

After much thought and deliberation, I have decided to stick it out. I have changed my mind at least once a day since UW gave me the offer and it came down to the risks and benefits of each situation.

UW:
benefits--I am guaranteed a spot in Seattle, I get an extra year of research
risks--I lose a year of medical education, which could be a problem if I ever decide to practice endocrinology rather than pursue an academic career

UCSD:
benefits--I get that extra year of education, and I get to stick with my original 3-year plan. And I can moonlight next year and make extra money.
risks--I am not guaranteed a spot at UW for fellowship (or anywhere for that matter)

In the end, I decided the extra year of clinical education is more important. I have gotten good feedback from UW and think they will still rank me high enough so I will match there. And if I don't, I will make the most of wherever I end up. It will all work out for the best. So you all have one more year to come visit us in San Diego!

3 comments:

devin said...

Not to mention.. Adam keeps moving out of town whenever I move closer to him and then he whines about how no one lives near him.... and that was getting old.

kateyritro said...

That must have been a super hard decision, Tracy! Good luck with everything! And this way, you have a much better chance of seeing Maia enjoy your lovely blanket for another whole year! YAY!

Lou said...

I know it was hard ... glad you remembered what Doris has to say on the matter!

Love,
Dad