Monday, June 23, 2008

More Ramblings

When people find out I have a blog, I don't really know how to explain it to them. I'm not someone who has a blog to share my views on the world. I don't write well enough to be entertaining to those who do not know me. I don't expect random people to read my blog. I really don't think anything I write about would be interesting to people who don't know me. As one friend told me, my blog *sounds* like me. If we were all in the same city, we could sit down and have a conversation that would sound very much like my blog. I look at my daily life and find the things that entertain me (or depress me) about it and that is what I write about. Which I guess is how I would explain my blog--it's a substitute for the conversations I would have with all of you guys if we were in the same city, and it helps me feel like I'm still connected to all my friends and family.

The good news is, that as of July 1, 2009 (and probably 4 or 5 days before that) I will be back in Seattle, so many of us can resume these conversations in real life. I can't tell you how excited I am to go back to Seattle. San Diego really is a great city, but I miss home. There are so many things I'm looking forward to back at home:

I miss my family. It's not the big things that I miss, like Thanksgiving or Christmas. My family has always been pretty flexible with major holidays. I think that is one of the benefits of being a child of divorce, you learn that it's not so much about the date but about the people who are there, and the traditions(like corn souffle!). We could celebrate Christmas in July if we had to, and it would still be just as meaningful. It is the small things that I miss. I couldn't go to Kate's graduation, or Tom's graduation, or Marcy's graduation. I missed Dillon's school plays. I haven't had a chance to visit Kendell at college. I miss dinner with Dad. I miss Mom too, but moving back to Seattle won't help with that. :) Adam and I are hoping to get out to Austria for Christmas though if I ever get vacation at Christmas-time again. Hopefully by 2010!

There are other things I'm looking forward to as well:
Bookclub! I loved my bookclub, and I have missed it terribly.
Kate and Emily! It will be like high school again. Except we'll be much cooler than we were back then. And we can go places other than Denny's.
Friends! I have friends in Seattle who are at the same stage in their life that I am -- trying to figure out what we really want to do with all the education we have, how to be successful and have families and whether they are mutually exclusive. I am so excited to be in the same city as them and figure these things out together.
Bike trails! I did not appreciate the Burke-Gilman until I did not have it.
And of course, the mountains! I can't tell you how much I miss the mountains.

So one year to go. Until then, I will continue my one-sided, on-line conversations with you all. It makes me happy to know my friends and family are a part of my life, and hopefully no one feels offended that I never call. It's not that I don't love you all, I just love sleep more. Really. Ask Adam.

P.S. K&J--Karma says if you want to leave her with us, she's happy to adopt us as her new family. Ok, she didn't really say that. She actually misses you. But we love having her, she's such a good dog. Except she has started leaving my socks in weird places around the house, and never in matching pairs. Odd.

2 comments:

Jason and Katey said...

Sorry about the socks, but we're so happy to hear that you are enjoying having Karma around, and vice versa. She is seriously the greatest dog I've ever had. We miss her terribly! Also, we'll miss you next year, so please don't think that this blog of yours will come to an end when you return to Seattle. We look forward to our blog convos!

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to let you know that I enjoy your "ramblings," and they do sound like you. It is a one-way conversation, I guess, but I look forward to hearing your side and try to check your blog at least once a week. Glad you're moving to Seattle....just one year too late for us, though. Say hi to Adam. Love, Angela & Dan