Saturday, November 17, 2007

Cars

Life was simple before I took my car in for its 60,000 mile tune-up. I was pretty happy to find a dealer that would do it fore less than $300. Until I got the phone call telling me my car was ready, but they had a few "recommended services."

My clutch is on its last legs. Sad, but I knew this day would come. I did learn to drive manual on this car, so the clutch took a lot of abuse that first year. The estimate? $1000. So much for my contribution to the wedding fund this month...

If that weren't enough, he had a few more things to recommend. Somehow I bent the rim of my right rear tire, badly enough that it is pressing on the tire and causing damage to the tire. This is apparently dangerous, so I gave in and agreed to replacing the wheel and the two rear tires (even though one is perfectly fine... I guess you have to replace them in pairs). AND! Adam had to get me a new battery a few months ago, but he was sold the wrong size. So now I need to see if the auto supply shop will replace it with the correct size, otherwise I'll have to buy a new battery.

I think cars are more trouble than they are worth. We actually contemplated buying a new car instead of fixing this one (which is a story for another post!) but I think at this point we've decided just to fix the old one. Anyone know how to find a good mechanic?

1 comment:

lola coca-cola said...

Elaine's dad owns Miramar Automotive over on Miramar Rd, I like him and it's where we take our car.