Monday, November 3, 2008

NaBloPoMo Day 3--Not What I Promised

Ok, so I know you were all excited to hear about Alaska and my adventures there (don't get too excited though, it was 5 years ago. I don't remember all the details, and many that I do remember--I'm not sharing them with the general public).

But instead I will tell you two things I learned tonight:

1. If you are going to go running after dark, you are stupid if you wear all black. Seriously. I'm a good driver, and I still almost hit the guy. I CAN'T SEE YOU IF YOU ARE WEARING ALL BLACK.

2. Rowing was one of the most important things I've ever done with my life. I was at a dinner tonight, and started chatting with the woman next to me. She was probably in her late 50's, early 60's. Somehow the topic of rowing came up. When she was 14, she started rowing with ZLAC. Since then, she has been involved with rowing through supporting various teams, organizing regattas, etc. As we talked about rowing, I got more and more excited. I only get this excited about three topics: rowing, obesity and margaritas. They are the three things that I am truly passionate about. Yes, I'm a blast at cocktail parties. Anyway, I realized that rowing had a huge impact on the person I am today. Two incidents in particular stick out.

One, in high school when I didn't make the varsity boat, despite the superiority of my erg scores compared to the skinny girl who beat me out for the seat. I asked my coach about it (perhaps the first time I ever confronted what I thought to be unfair treatment!) and was told I just wasn't aggressive enough. How I needed to fight for what I wanted. How even if I were just walking down the street, I should race the person ahead of me. That moment changed my approach from the "whatever happens happens" way of life to the "I'm going to do everything in my power to make that happen, but will accept the consequences, knowing I did my best" approach. That's what got me into medical school.

Two, my freshman year in college on a spring break trip my coach pointed out that she could tell when I got frustrated. If things aren't going well in a boat with seven other rowers, it sucks. And I would give up and just let it suck. And she could tell. She told me that I needed to focus on what I could do to make the situation better, rather than just giving in to the suckiness (I don't think she used the word suckiness, but I think it is appropriate for the situation). So I made a change. If the boat wasn't set, I didn't throw my hands around in frustration, I focused on what I could do to make it better. If there was horrendous check, I didn't start shooting up and down the slide, I focused on my control. And still today, if I'm in a miserable situation, I focus on the part of that situation that I can control, and make that part better. It makes for a much happier, more successful life.

I would like to thank those people, I wonder if I can track them down? I wonder if they would even remember me?

Regardless, I think I might take up rowing again when I'm back in Seattle. I liked who I was when I was a rower... and I really like that I had well defined muscles. I miss having well defined muscles.

1 comment:

kateyritro said...

I'm about 1000% confident that Amy would remember you. I cannot speak for any of your high school rowing memories ;)