Wednesday, November 5, 2008

NaBloPoMo Day 5--Wyoming

I think fall arrived today. How does one tell when fall arrives in So. California where the trees never lose their leaves and frost is unheard of? As best I can tell, three things herald the coming of fall: it is dark when I go running after work, the temperature does not get above 75, and Peet's has eggnog lattes. Based on those criteria, it is now fall.

So now we move on to the next stop on my tour of the west during the fall/winter/spring of 2003-2004. After Alaska, I spent 3 months living in Wyoming. A vast beautiful state, where I more fully developed the art of road tripping.
After spending the first 6 weeks in Sheridan, WY living in old officers' housing at the VA hospital, I moved on to Buffalo, WY. It was while in Buffalo that my friend, who was living in equally exciting Havre, MT at the time, came down for what I still think of as the ultimate road trip.

I must have had a 3-day weekend, because I seem to recall this being a 3-day event. But who knows, it all blurs together after this many years. Regardless, we started in Buffalo one lovely spring day, and decided to go to Mt. Rushmore--about 3 1/2 hours away. And I got to check a new state off my list.

On the way home, never ones to take the direct route, we swung by Deadwood, SD to partake in some blackjack and a prime rib buffet. Many hours (and miles) later we returned home.

The next day, we decided to drive over the mountains to a little town for lunch. Here is what we planned to do (60 miles each way):

View Larger Map

Here is what we actually did (nearly 400 miles round trip):
View Larger Map

It was a very lovely drive: It started off innocently enough."Thermopolis! That sounds funny, let's go." We had A&W root beer floats there (did I mention this friend was the enabler from Alaska?). Then we saw the sign for the Sierra Trading Post Outlet Store in Cody. "Let's go shopping!" Our final goal was to get to Sheridan before 9 pm so we could get ourselves a tasty steak dinner. Rather than go back the way we came, we chose to make a loop, crossing the mountains on Hwy 14. This pass is at 9000 ft. We got stuck in a snow storm--in May. But eventually we made it down, safely got our steak dinner and once again, back to Buffalo. The next day we had brunch at a local hotel. Because is was Easter and that is what people do on Easter. One of the best road trip weekends ever.
Tomorrow... Yellowstone. One of my favorite places in the whole country.

No comments: