Thursday, November 27, 2008

NaBloPoMo Day 27--Thanksgiving

After washing what seems like every dish in our house, twice, my hands feel like prunes. But for our first go at Thanksgiving, I think Adam and I did ok. Nothing turned out spectacularly but neither of us have any special family recipes to start from, so this was a Thanksgiving from scratch (except for the Silberfein apple pie, Adam is always very successful with that one). I tried to document the day through photos, but the lighting in our place is lousy, I hate using the flash on my camera, and without image stabilization... well, you end up with a lot of blurry food photos.

Adam was in charge of the turkey. Using his mom's patented self-basting technique, we ended up with this: Yes, it looks like it landed flat on it's back after falling from a great height, or perhaps someone who spent too long tanning on one side (which effectively it did, since we cooked it most of the time breast side down), but since we carved it all up in the kitchen, no one ever saw the unattractive turkey. The meat was tasty and moist though, and isn't that the point of a turkey? Who cares what it looks like?

Afterwards, I got to hack up the carcass with a cleaver (what does it say about me that my favorite part of thanksgiving day was the hacking up of the turkey carcass?) and it is now simmering away on the stove to provide me with large volumes of turkey broth.

We had a lovely evening with one of Adam's co-workers and his family. They have 3 kids under the age of 3, and were the most wonderfully well-behaved, polite children. It almost made me want to have kids. Almost. Dog first. Kids later.

No comments: