Wednesday, November 12, 2008

NaBloPoMo Day 12--UNESCO

As I was writing about the Slovenian caves yesterday I wondered, how many UNESCO world heritage sites are there anyway? Is it really that big of a deal? (there are 878 and yes, I think so). And then, similar to the Tylee battle of who will be the first to visit all 50 states, I began to wonder, how many UNESCO world heritage sites have I been to? The answer...

1. Salzburg, on my first visit to Austria
2. the palace and gardens of Schoenbrunn, during my adventure in Vienna
3. historic center of Vienna, of which I saw more than most tourists (see above)
4. Watertown Glacier National Park (see NaBloPoMo Day 9)
5. Luebeck, in northern Germany. I lived here for a month during a high school exchange program.
6. the palaces of Potsdam, which I visited during above mentioned summer exchange.
7. historic center of Rome. Ah, Rome. I did love that city.
8. Vatican City. Did you know they have a statue in the Vatican City Museum that looks just like Bill Clinton? Seriously. I wish I had taken a picture.
9. the Maya site of Copan in Honduras, with it's lovely ruins and such a nice little town
10. historic center of Florence, which I did not enjoy so much
11. the city of Cuzco, in Peru
12. Machu Picchu!
13. the Skocjan caves in Slovenia, of course
14. Yellowstone National Park
15. Olympic National Park, site of Adam and my first date
16. Redwoods National Park, home of the Paul Bunyon and Babe of my childhood

Only 862 to go!

No comments: